Aga is a member of the fungi family and is also known under the name of fly agaric. Aga is known to be poisonous and is highly toxic, but it can be used for medical purposes. Its main purpose is to treat anxiety as well as joint and tissue health.
Signs of aga poisoning include dizziness, vomiting, abdominal pain, muscle cramps, and psychic stimulation followed by deep sleep. An intake of more than 10mg can lead to overdose, and doses of over 100 grams can lead to coma or death.
Although the plant is poisonous, the toxicity can be removed when boiled. It has been used since the 19th century in Europe as cuisine and is considered a delicacy.
The fungus is used to prepare homeopathic dilutions.
Flower and Fruit
Aga belongs to the group of lamella fungi, genus Amanita. The hymenium in the inside of the fruiting body is exposed by unfolding the cap on the underside.
The poisonous fungus has a basidia that is dirty white, as are the cuffs and underside of the cap. The mushroom's cap is orange at first, then strong red with a few dirty-white to yellow spots.
Aga grows in the Northern Hemisphere as far north as the tundra and thrives in sandy, acid soils.
Aga is the above-ground part of Amanita muscaria.
Actions & Pharmacology
- Ibotenic acid (0.17% to 1%)
- Muscarine (traces)
- Betalains (skin pigment): muscaflavin, muscaaurins and muscapurpurins
- Amavandin (compound containing vanadium)
The drug, containing ibotenic acid, has a psychotropic and hallucinogenic effect and is toxic in higher doses. The decarboxylation product muscimol is similar in structure to the neurotransmitter GABA and attaches itself to the latter's receptor complex as a selective and direct antagonist. The drug is initially stimulating then paralyzing in its effect.
Indications & Usage
The fungus is used to treat neuralgias, fever, anxiety, alcohol poisoning, and joint pains.
Precautions & Adverse Reactions
The drug is highly toxic. Signs of poisoning include dizziness, vomiting, abdominal pain, movement disorders, muscle cramps and psychic stimulation, followed by deep sleep.
The intake of more than 10 g of the fresh mushroom can lead to coordination disorders, confusion, illusions and manic attacks. Higher dosages (over 100 g of fresh mushrooms) lead to unconsciousness, asphyxiation, coma, and death.
The treatment of poisoning includes emptying the gastrointestinal tract and the use of sedatives. In case of shock, a plasma volume expander should be used. Artificial respiration should be administered for respiratory arrest.
Mode of Administration
In homeopathy, dilutions of the mother tincture are used.